Skip to main content

Why the Van helps Ric get thing’s done

austroy

Ever found yourself solving big problems on a jog, or on the ferry on the way to work, or while quietly enjoying a cappuccino in your favourite cafe. It’s not uncommon. Some people like the discipline of a cubicle or an office… but for creativity I find that most of the people I ask, they say very little is accomplished in a traditional work setting.

The van is simply a tool that helps me kick start the process that happens when most people run in a park or find their favourite seat on a ferry going across Sydney harbour. You clear the head, in an environment with no reminders of the myriad pressing matters that scream at us every minute of most working days, and let the mind move. Let your mind pace itself and settle on the issue or opportunity that presents itself when the noise quiets down.

If my van was in a tech feature film or a tech blog you would expect a battery supply, AC power points, wall to wall monitors and a fridge. Sure there is a comfy office chair and a steel foldaway work desk, but that’s all. Just some space to work and whatever I bring for the occasion. A legal pad… some folders, a sketch pad and maybe my iPad and my cell phone which are usually set to silent.

So basically the Van is my way of going for a thoughtful jog… without the jog bit.

Comments

Real Time Web Analytics